Dating can be hard to start with – and a first date even harder. So what should you do? Simple, just arm yourself with good first date etiquette. After all, first impressions count. Here are some do’s and don’ts.
- When you go out on a date especially if it is a first date, pay particular attention to grooming. Wear comfortable, clean, well-fitting clothes. Iron your clothes, wear a nice watch or jewellery (don’t go overboard, this is particularly important if you don’t usually wear such items), and polish your shoes. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you look clean and presentable from head to toe.
- Have a stimulating conversation with your date. There is no better first date than free flowing conversation. But also remember to listen too. Take a genuine interest in what the other person has to say.
- Act like a gentleman, open doors for her. And if you are the lady, act as one. It is about having respect for yourself and each other. Enjoy the time that you are sharing together.
- Flirt with your date. Teasing them and making them laugh is also a parts of first date etiquette. Also, laugh at your date’s jokes. Humour can make your date feel comfortable with you.
- Complementing your date occasionally, where it is natural to do so, is acceptable first date etiquette. Just don’t go overboard as it can seem too much.
At the end of the day, everyone is different so you need to develop your skill of tuning into that, something that comes with practice. For some people, joking may not feel like the right thing to do, so go along with your instinct.
Keeping these proper first date etiquettes in mind assures you stand a better chance of getting a second date, but that’s not all. You should know what you should not do on a date too:
- Avoid talking about religion and politics. Your date might have different views on these matters.
- It is not a good first date etiquette to look around while your date is talking. It might appear that you are not interested. Focus your attention to your date.
- Never ever talk about yourself too much. It just sounds egotistical and can be very off-putting.
- Never talk about your past relationships with your date. They do not want to hear about your baggage.
- Don’t make any offensive jokes. Don’t be rude. Even if the date does not seem to be going too well. We are all different, so just be polite for the remainder of the date.
- Be punctual on your first date. Turning up late definitely does not give a good impression.
- Don’t argue with them. Keep things easy going and relaxed. Staying cool and calm throughout.
Hopefully you found this useful. Remember: The date should be short and meaningful. You could go for a coffee or for lunch somewhere. Keep it to an hour or two maximum. This will give you time to get to know each other and decide if you would like to date again. If you feel things are going well, at the end of the date, you can simply ask ‘Can I call you again?’ Hopefully the response will be yes, and you will get the opportunity to go on a second date.